Monday, July 14, 2014

Old Rag: Summer Flower Edition

I've gotten a bit behind on blog posts, so this will be a quick post about our last day on Old Rag volunteering for spring season. We went out with two other volunteers on July 5. It was a beautiful, cool (for July), quiet day on the mountain. We didn't see our bear again, but heard about it from other hikers. Otherwise, it was uneventful.
Anemone virginiana (Thimbleweed)
 Heiracium paniculatum (Leafy Hawkweed)
A little grouping of orange toadstools in green moss along the Weakley Hollow Fire Road
 Monarda clinopodia (Basil Bergamot)
Helianthus divaricatus (Woodland Sunflower)
A large cricket on the inside of the door at Byrd's Nest Shelter. There were a bunch of these on the door. I opened up the shelter, which involves unlocking the bottom half of the door, opening it, and then scooting into the shelter. Then you remove a bar across the top half of the door - in the dark. When I did that last part, about ten crickets jumped on me. Did I mention it was in the dark? In the moment, I had no idea what jumped on me and I just about jumped out of my skin. They are harmless, if a little creepy when you don't know what is jumping on you.
The view south from the summit of Old Rag.
The spot where I always take a picture.
Rhus typhina (Staghorn Sumac).

No comments:

Post a Comment