Monday, March 23, 2015

Garden 2015: Seeing What Lived Through the Winter

This winter, like last year's, has been cold and long. Right now, with flurries forecast for tonight, it isn't showing any sign of ceding ground to spring. I had a few vegetables that I tried to overwinter. Only the spinach, which was planted in a cold frame, made it. Given that one night it made it down to 2 degrees, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is still green.

We've had a couple of days where we were able to get out and do some work in the garden. Michael dug the beds that needed turned over for spring vegetables. I have managed to get a few things planted. Now it just needs to warm up a little.
 The beds that Michael dug last week. I have planted carrots, onions, and peas. Now the ground just needs to warm up a little.
The spinach that made it through the winter.
One of the tiny little azalea starts I was given last year. This little guy is about two inches across.
Garlic peeking up through the straw.
Tomato starts.
Lenten roses starting to bloom.
 Wild Geranium (Geranium maculatum) sprouting up through the leaf litter.
A white crocus in the front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment