Sunday, May 5, 2013

Garden Update: Early May Edition

We didn't get out this weekend, but we spent most of it outside anyway.  We made major progress on the garden.  We have everything in the ground now except for melons.  The soil needs to warm up a bit more before I can plant them.  I also have a few flowers that need a home somewhere in the garden.  My eyes were just slightly bigger than our flower beds when I was at the nursery the other day.

Pictures (click to enlarge):
Our Azaleas are just starting to bloom.  The bushes are tiny, just over a foot tall, but they are all bloomed out.
I was completely taken in by our local nursery's native plants section.  These Aquilegia canadensis (Wild Columbine) jumped into my cart and wouldn't leave.
Our edamame is starting to come up.
 This picture turned out a little dark, but it shows the blue color of these Lobelia well.
We planted potatoes in bags again this year, but I had too many potatoes for all of the bags.  I found space in the garden and they are coming up nicely.
Ozark Beauty Strawberries.  Hopefully, we beat the birds to it.
This is a Bald Cypress, which was given to us by neighbors that moved to Colorado. It is a conifer, so I was worried that I had killed it last fall when the needles browned and dropped. It turns out that it is a deciduous  conifer. Go figure. Anyway, I was very happy to see the needles reappear this spring.
 Iris verna (Dwarf Iris).
Gladiolus bulbs just coming up.
A Bearpaw Popcorn sprout.  This is a rare variety actually has a split ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment