Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Quick Garden Update

It has been nearly a month since I last did a garden update.  Things are coming along nicely.  I have enough lettuce to supply my lunch salads.  The first wave of radishes have come and gone (more are planted).  I also learned that, for cold season vegetables (e.g. broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc), starting them in the cold frame works much better than starting them indoors.  The ones that I started outside in the cold frame are much bigger and stronger than the ones I started indoors.  Next week, a frenzy of planting starts, since the danger of frost will have passed.

Pictures (click to enlarge):
 The peas are tall enough to grasp the supports I put in the ground.
 The blueberry bushes are in full bloom.
A Brandywine Tomato start outside on the deck.  It hasn't been warm enough yet to leave them out overnight.
 Look closely and you will see two little purple asparagus sprouts.  Asparagus requires a lot of patience the first couple of years.  We won't be able to harvest any of the spears until next year, and then only a few.  Two years from now, we'll finally be able to get the full benefit of the bed.
 Another asparagus spear.
 Strawberry blossoms.
Lettuce (probably planted too closely together).

No comments:

Post a Comment